Had a storm come through the area when I was at work. Luckily I had the Tautic board running and collecting data. I have just spent some time processing the data and I am now rather hopeful that this might work. Unlike previous times when It hardly registered any strikes, this time it registered a million. Have no clue if they were all real, but they do start at a distance, come to a close approach of 5 km, and then increase again. The times correlate well to when the storm passed by my wife’s recollection and by when it past where I work some 20 miles north.
I did find that my energy calculation was bogus. I had the endianess of the 3 byte value wrong. Will be updating the GitHub code shortly.